kuttu 0
+1
2020-05-04 • 337 views • 4 replies

This labor day weekend in Toronto is the 68th annual 9-man volleyball national tournament. I know most of you are familiar with sixes and beach, etc and probably wondering what 9-man is . It is a variation of sixes, typically played outdoors on concrete, with a larger court and a different set of similar, but different rules. this equals more offense and more defense.  think of it as competitive jungle ball. don't worry. i thought it was stupid at first too until i played it and realized how amazingly fun it is.

here is a clip from the finals in 2010. if any of you are familiar with AVP star Kevin Wong, he is #12 on the white team. he also was a commentator at the London olympics this year. feel free to ask me any questions in the comments if you are curous about the rules, etc.

Sherlock 353 9
6 months ago

I saw a few videos of this, seems fun. But what about the positions ? And about front side/back side attackers ?

6 months ago

i didn't see any clip in the thread

sitenoise 204 7
6 months ago
+3

Haha! I just started watching V9 volleyball (Japan Women's) and it's a riot! Often fast with a lot of long rallies. With five attackers the combinations can be surreal. You can't reach across the net to block (aka no roofing) so there are a lot of soft blocks and recycling. You can pass the ball off the net to yourself or a team mate, which comes in handy. My favorite rule change is that a block touch counts as first touch. Boy, does that speed up the game, and means everybody's got to be a decent passer.

@Sherlock There are 5 front row attackers, 3 receivers and a setter. No rotation or front/back court business. They do rotate who serves the ball but a front row attacker goes to serve and then runs back to her position at the net. Two of the attackers stay out on each wing, so I guess you could call them OH and OP.

That's how the Japan Women's is, anyway. They play indoors. The men's court is slightly larger than 6 player, the women's is the same size. The net is slightly lower.

Sherlock 353 9
6 months ago
+1

Okay, very interesting. So it's like they are playing with 3 liberos. I think I'm going to watch a few videos. :D

Donate to volleyboxDonate to volleybox
0 0