Add "Native Name" in Arenas Section

+2
2020-07-14 • 1553 views • 13 replies

I'm recently adding few arenas into the database. I find a question that some small local arenas have no official name in English. So when people translate the name into English, You will find different translation. You don't know which one is correct.
If we can add Native Name into Arenas section, I think it will help people search it and more user friendly.

#ARENA

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago

Yes! I always always add the native name in "historical names",  and I add the various translation possibilities, and the "Pet names", etc. The dupes you can find and prevent by doing this are many. Use it with Duckduckgo and turn on "Japan" results (if you're searching  Japanese names or places)

I'd like to see native names for  players as well

Happy With VolleyballAuthor 106 8
3 years ago

@sitenoise  I don't have authorization to add historical name.

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago

Related to this, adding the "Homepage" is very helpful. Sometimes it's nothing more than a blurb on the City's website under "exercise and recreation", but it really helps to narrow things down.

I've also asked for the "Homepage" Field to be added to the popup sheet when you have to "Create New" Arena. That is, if you go to add an arena from a Club's page, search for it and no results, you click "Create New". That popup sheet doesn't have a Homepage Field. I wish it did.

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago

@Dorien @ojvolleyball That arena, "Hekinan City Seaside Gymnasium", we're talking about in the other thread about man/woman sides of the site is a great example of the usefulness of native names. Without the native name I had to try and reverse engineer "Hekinan City Linhai Gymnasium" LOL

Once you have the native name, depending on what you use to translate it, it may see  碧南市臨海体育館 as Chinese characters  and translate it as "Binan City Linhai Stadium". Even switching to Japanese you might get "Hekinan City Rinkai Gymnasium". But if you DuckduckGo in Japanese you get a few top hits (which I added as homepages) that suggest "Hekinan City Seaside Gymnasium". So that's what I changed it to.

@Dorien  I hope that's cool with you :)

3 years ago

@sitenoise  If you are doing Japan venues, try this website: https://pregamestraining.tokyo2020.jp/jp/

It's a website prepared by The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games. You can search venue with Japanese words. It will show the results, then you click to the result to direct to the venue page. You will see English on the above of the website. You click it and it will turn into English version.I think the name is kind of official translation. 

In this case 碧南市臨海体育館 is translated HEKINAN CITY RINKAI GYMNASIUM. Also, this page have some basic information of the venue such as official website and Year construction complete. You can input those number in volleybox database as well.

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago

@ojvolleyball  I use that site a lot, and have it linked in the Hekinan profile (I put it in the LinkedIn Field).

I take their "English" to be translated. Microsoft Bing translates it as "Hekinan City Rinkai Gymnasium" Google as "Hekinan City Seaside Gymnasium". I forgot to add the Rinkai version to historical names (added now). I went with "Seaside" because it's an English word. I also dictionary'd "臨海" and assumed it means 'seaside' but it could be a proper noun of a sponsoring company. Hmmm.

Either way, that's why I like to put all the options in the historical names field, so depending on what translation service a person uses there will be a match, and with the native name in there you can't go wrong

Dorien 61 5
3 years ago
+1

@sitenoise Google Translate is my friends when I can't read the characters when a club has no English name for their arena, that's why I have those weird arena names all the time LOL. Thanks for changing the name, will use the website that @ojvolleyball recommended in the previous post.

Any idea how we can put historical names in the arenas? I don't think I have the authority to do that.

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago

@Dorien  It's all good. I didn't know you folks don't have access to historical (alternate) name field. 

When you add an Arena is there not a circle with a plus sign in it right under where you " - Type Name - "?

We need a big picture of the building with the name spelled out in Latin characters to know for sure. Japanese is tough. Fact is, "臨海" means all three of those things. "rinkai" is literal Japanese; "linhai" is literal Chinese; "seaside" and "coastal" are 'meanings', as I understand it.

And Hekinan is a "seaside" town after all :)

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago

@ojvolleyball Upon further reflection I think "Rinkai" should be the official volleybox name and "seaside" as a google alternative. Bing is usually better than google in my experience, at Japanese translation of "names" of people and things. Google seems to go more for literal translations and Bing seems to have a backend database of proper nouns and names that it applies to translations. 

Thanks for sticking with it

3 years ago
+1

@sitenoise When it comes to Japanese translation, I use RomajiDesu.

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago

My brain is exploding

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago

In addition to Native Names and Homepage Fields I've recently begun adding a Google Maps link to Arenas. It'd be cool to have a "Map" link, but for now I'm putting them in the LinkedIn field. Great way to get the address right and it is also a decent source for images (which Google makes difficult to procure but not impossible).

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+1

@sitenoise there was "Map" tab long time ago in the arenas profiles. Latitude and longitude were calculated from the arena's address. Then arena was marked on the Google Map. This has been removed due to google maps license restrictions. I can add to the TODO list to check if the restrictions still apply.

Temporarily disabled
Translate VolleyboxWould you like to help the project?Translate VolleyboxTranslate Volleybox
Would you like to help the project?Translate Volleybox