[Closed] Team name chronology should stay

+2
2020-03-22 • 336 views • 7 replies

If the team changes the name from TeamName#1 to TeamName#2. All team name appearances in any editions of any tournaments is changed to TeamName#2.

One of the example: Cucine Lube Civitanova. 

Name history:

• 1990-1994: Lube Carima Treia
  • 1994-1995: Lube Carima Macerata
  • 1995-2012: Lube Banca Marche Macerata
  • 2012-2014: Cucine Lube Banca Marche Macerata
  • 2014-2015: Cucine Lube Banca Marche Treia
  • 2015-2016: Cucine Lube Banca Marche Civitanova
  • 2016–present: Cucine Lube Civitanova

If the old tournament editions are opened, the current name is found instead of appropriate old one for that period. 

#Volleyboxnet

Volleybox 453
11 months ago
+1

Thanks for the suggestion. It could be implemented.

But before that:

1. there should be possibility of adding starting and ending season when some club's name was used
  2. editing club's historical names should be available for the users

It's more complex than you might think.

Vitalii LatyshAuthor 95 11
11 months ago
+1

I understand. It looks more the direction then full requirement.

Volleybox 453
1 month ago
+2

It have been already implemented.

For now only moderators have possibility of changing former names of clubs. Club name in a given season should be displayed in the all pages, if not please let me know.

Editing names looks like below:

sitenoise 290 7
1 month ago
+2

Oh no! I understand the need for this, and I do like the implementation, but we seriously need somewhere to put Original Language names and sometimes a few different “translations” or duplicates will abound. 

sitenoise 290 7
1 month ago
+2

Okay, I freaked out. “Alternative” names can still be input into this without needing to enter years from and to? And they will still be searched? As in “Obihiro South” will find “Obihiro Minami”?

Volleybox 453
1 month ago
+1

@sitenoise you can add historical names without completing starting and ending seasons. They still will be searched.

Adding “native names” which you and @pedeshtrian asked few times would be better solution of that problem. So one question to you: if native name should be single field or it should be a list of different names (in different languages) like on the prototype presented below?

@sitenoise one more thing: searching among characters from Japanese / Chinese alphabet is very complicated topic and may not work at all. This matter requires further investigation.

sitenoise 290 7
1 month ago
+1

@Volleybox Vexing issues. First, about searching on non-Latin characters. It would be super useful, especially for players more than clubs, but I imagine it would be very complicated to implement and would slow down the search function immensely. So back-burner that part except to be alert on how it might impact the other part, of how to input it.

For clubs, it works fine how it is now (for me/Japan), because the Latin names are searched. And as long as your prototype for “historical” names doesn't require years and will still be searched, it's all good. 

As for “Native” names, I don't know if inputting the names in a more specific way, like your prototype, would change that. And it's important to be able to input “extra” Latin names as well--which aren't “Native”. So if inputting them in your prototype way would exclude them from search … that would be bad (for me). 

I'm not sure if the discussion here goes beyond “clubs”. If you are considering the “Native” name issue to be for clubs, players, and arenas, (and tournaments) or not, as they may impact one another in terms of needs. Maybe best to dedicate a separate thread to “Native name” discussion?

0 0