Golden set rule/ alternative rules

Someone 875
+1
2013-01-24 • 9061 views • 14 replies
Golden set is not the best rule, but the rules that have been before golden set caused second match less exciting.
Year by year there are more and more discussions about that rule which seems to be unfair.

There's a rule that can solve this problem. A normal point counting: 3:0, 3:1- 3 points. 3:2- winner- 2 points, loser- 1 point. And the golden set played only with a tie.

I would cause second match more exciting (only with 3:1 or 3:0 in the first match and 2:0 in sets in second the match would be settled). And also it would be more fair- only after a tie would be a golden set.

#volleyballrules

Golden set rule/ alternative rules
Basil 47 1
11 years ago
+1
I agree completely. But in this case Trento and SKRA would be the winners of current stage of CL.
SomeoneAuthor 875 10
11 years ago
+1
Yes. The games would be still exciting and better teams would have win!
marchst 244 2
11 years ago
+2
A solution would be to use the difference points, in the case of equality the difference set and the last golden set in case of total equality.
AndreaTN 79 3
11 years ago
+1
If CEV want the golden set i think is better that the team win more sets has an advantage in the golden set, for example: counting both matches:

5 -5 set ... the golden set start from 0-0
5-4 set....the golden set start from 2-0
5-3 set...the golden set start from 4-0

or better... if we can play 3 games ...2 of 3... it's the best rule we can have
camnow 380 4
11 years ago
+1
A Golden set is not so bad but only when number of sets is equal... 1st M: A 3:1 B, 2nd Match: B 3:1 A....

1st Match: Dynamo 3:2 Trentino
2nd Match: Trento 3:0 Dynamo
GS: Dynamo 15:12 Trentino

In my opinion this is unfair...
Joachim7 321 4
11 years ago
+1
I think the solution proposed by someone is great but if we really have to keep the golden set I think it would be more fair to play it until 25 points.In this case the best team has more chances to prove it even if it's not the best solution.
And for this level of players, playing 5 sets + a 25 points golden set won't be that much of a problem (they won't be too much exausted)
SomeoneAuthor 875 10
11 years ago
+2
@hanes233

Yes, it would be the most fair solution, but very often the second matches weren't so exciting. For example: Resovia-Trentino. After a tight first set won by Trentino everything was clear.

The solution with point counting is more fair than golden set and more exciting that the set counting rule.
11 years ago
can somebody explain me the golden rule?
Kjeldhor 1059 17
11 years ago
com'on guys... the CEV never said the golden set is for fair play or to promote the most deserving team... they want to sell a show and golden set is an extra set to sell, like the organizing team who's already qualified to final four, it's just to have a lot of people in the arena --> more € for the CEV

golden set is not good if win/lose set are different? maybe.. but there's an "IF"
and IF "team A" win every matches with 3-2 and the "team B" reach the final match with all 3-0 and lost the final match 2-3 is correct? the set difference are in favor of the team B

if u really want give the title to the most deserving team you should have just an european season whit everyone VS everyone, with no pool, no playoff, no finalfour
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Golden set makes the competition more random. Any team can beat any other team in 15 points. Teams are cheating after winning the first match - putting second line for the second match and going full power only for the golden set. The rule is made to destroy competition and to ensure that the best teams will not all reach the final four. If it is random, it is not competition. The cheating in volleyball continues to educate the young people how to live a life without moral. Great job from the full with corruption FIVB and CEV - a long line if idiotic decisions in the name of the money
11 years ago
@hanes so it is a short game to 15 that last about 30 minutes ( ppl pay for that?)
SomeoneAuthor 875 10
11 years ago
+2
@raylight
You've mentioned very important thing. Every time I said unfair I ment more random.

I think that the competition without randomness can be boring (for example very long sets to 50 points). Yes- the golden set is rather random, but it is something like extra-time (you know). In my opinion it should be played only in case of the tie in the points. It'll be more fair (less random) in the case of play-off.

PS. I don't think that Dinamo cheated. They've just had more luck.
raylight 3006 15
11 years ago
Dynamo put the second team after the three aces in a row from Kazyski and this is on the edge of cheating. I agree that golden set should not be put every time, like you suggested
11 years ago
why don't they just play one who match, instead of a golden set to 15 (that what they do in pluslia, right?)
Temporarily disabled
Volleyball players rankingWho is the best volleyball player ever?Show players rankingVolleyball players ranking
Who is the best volleyball player ever?Show players ranking