[Open] Country icon for player should be based on second (sport) nationality

2020-12-13 • 1515 views • 5 replies

The concern is about incorrect setting values for nationality and second (sport) nationality fields AND showing player sport nationality icon.

1. Open the profile: https://women.volleybox.net/nataliya-goncharova-p2048

Nataliya Goncharova has original nationality - Ukraine, but as you can see below on the screenshot, it is set as second (sport) nationality. And that is wrong.

Expected: Nationality - Ukraine, Second (Sport) nationality - Russia

Next: when you go to the team profile, you can find the player on the list and see the icon

Actual: this icon based on Nationality value player.

Expected: this icon should be based on Second (Sport) Nationality value

S…k 717 16
3 years ago
+1

We're on a volleyball website, not on Wikipedia or any official social source. So I think the nationality by default is the sport nationality. The second is the real nationality but who cares here ? We already had this debate, I can't remember with who, and it didn't change anything.

It's perfect like it is right now for me.

Vitalii LatyshAuthor 81 11
3 years ago
+1

@Sherlock 

→ and it didn't change anything

Nope. At least the query was changed. Now when you filter player by Country, the query should match one of the field ‘Nationality’ OR ‘Second Nationality’. As a result, Leon appeared in output results equally as for Country filter: Poland or Country filter: Cuba. And that is ok.

Next: here is a UX problem. 

When a user adds the player profile, field naming is confusing.

What should a user put under Nationality? Remember, it is a mandatory field. 

Sport or real? What nationality do you add to the new player profile? 

For one player - sport, for another - real. Everyone puts what she/he wants. As a result, added players appeared with the confusing country icon.

Finally, why this field called ‘Nationality’? Maybe it would be better to name it ‘Country’ for consistency with the filter name ‘Country’? Probably, the questions won't be answered.

And that's it. I must agree, it is not crucial ever a problem on this site, but remember, there are a lot of such minor things that build your overall opinion and comfort, willingness to come back to the platform. 

It is perfect for you, for someone else, but it doesn't mean it is even ok for other visitors.

S…k 717 16
3 years ago

@VitaliiLatysh Yes I know that other people will have other point of views and that's I give my own and we are debatting here. Maybe we could have for the mandatory one “Country”, which seems logical to be the sports country of the player. And for the second one, “other nationality” would be a better formulation for a former or civil nationality ?

Vitalii LatyshAuthor 81 11
3 years ago
+1

@Sherlock I like the variant with ‘Sport nationality’/'Civil nationality'.

Nationality → Sport nationality - mandatory field

Second nationality → Civil nationality - optional

S…k 717 16
3 years ago

@VitaliiLatysh It looks very good for me.

Temporarily disabled