[Open] Users from countries. Wrong counting

2020-12-12 • 2090 views • 20 replies

Looks like there should be the total number, but it seems calculated in the wrong way.

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+2

This number shows how many different countries the registered users come from.

Vitalii LatyshAuthor 81 11
3 years ago

@Volleybox hm… a bit confusing. Expecting the total amount of users, cause the amount of countries you (as user) can find by just scrolling down to the list bottom. 

1. there are not 199. it is 153.
  2. Some of them are not valid. Anonymous Proxy?
S…k 717 16
3 years ago
+1

@VitaliiLatysh There are not 153 countries. It shows that all the countries which own only 1 user are ranked joint 153rd. Those 37 countries ranked 153rd make a total of 199 countries.

Yes this “Anonymous Proxy” has always been weird. Also, “Asia/Pacific Region” and “Europe” are not countries.

You can see the total number of users (12678) here : https://volleybox.net/what-is-volleybox

3 years ago
+1

@Sherlock thanks. really, it wasn't obvious about ranking. 

BTW, it looks like all these community activities can be placed under some dashboard on the one page with some graphics, tables, etc, isn't it? Not clear what is the reason for special pages for Users from countries, Users on matches, and others.

S…k 717 16
3 years ago
+1

@VitaliiLatysh In the moderation part, there is a page with a lot of graphics about all the community numbers evolution monthly, weekly or daily. It doesn't seem to own any sensible information at all but it keeps being invisible from the users, I don't know why. It's pretty interesting though.

3 years ago

@Sherlock yep. imagine user feeling “Great, I saw the 800+ users from Somali. What should I do with this?” Useless, isn't it?

S…k 717 16
3 years ago
+3

@VitaliiLatysh I think an easy solution would be to add only one line before this list : “There are currently xxx users on Volleybox, here is their distribution :”

Well, that is a not a really good formulation but I think that's the best idea and this is the most simple ever. I personally love this table, it is interesting to see from where people are coming.

3 years ago
+1

@Volleybox  the number definitely needs to be fixed. 199?

Not a country:

1. Asia/Pacific Region
  2. Reunion
  3. Anonymous Proxy
  4. Antarctica
  5. Europe

Expected: 195

Dorien 61 5
3 years ago
+1

@VitaliiLatysh Why should these be removed from the list? There are members who have indicated one of these 5 places as their country instead of 'Belgium' or 'Ukraine' for example. Not everyone wants to show in which country they live, then I think this is an ideal solution for them.

3 years ago

@Dorien I am ok with it. That is their right but at the same time, such an approach confused other users. 

If a user does not want to show their country, let's create some ‘Undefined’ country, and ‘spy’ users will be gathered there. What is the reason to show the stats for visitors with territories/lands/anonymous proxies and named it ‘Users from countries’? You must be confused, aren't you?

S…k 717 16
3 years ago

@VitaliiLatysh I agree with @Dorien even if that's a little bit weird let's respect those users choice. Concerning Antarctica, this is not possible, no one comes from Antartica, there are only scientists for temporary missions, it can be removed.

And why removing especially Reunion ? It is a region like many others like Isle of Man, Martinique, Aland Islands… either we keep everything or me remove everything.

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+1

@VitaliiLatysh I agree with you. 5 countries mentioned by you are not countries, so they shouldn't be displayed on the all countries lists on the website. If someone doesn't want to define his country he can leave it empty (users has this possibility now). So the action will be removing this 5 fake countries from the db and setting empty country for users who chose them before (because these users wanted to be anonymous by choosing such countries). It will be a little bit more complicated task because some job offers also has assigned countries like “Europe”.

S…k 717 16
3 years ago

@Volleybox I don't think removing Reunion is a good idea. It is indeed not a country but this is an oversea territory from France with a really strong identity and people from those regions like Martinique, Guadeloupe a very, very attached to their country, and they will be very, very happy if they see their region in the country list.

But if you really want to remove those I can make you a list of regions which a not countries as geography is one of my specialties. ?

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+1

@Sherlock I will leave this topic unchanged for now, for further investigation. The best way will be finding differences between vb countries list and lists on other social websites. If there are any volunteers to research this topic, I would be grateful.

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago

@Volleybox  would the list of FIVB Federation Codes be helpful?

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+1

@sitenoise probably not, because we are talking about available countries where users are coming from, not about volleyball countries.

Dorien 61 5
3 years ago
+2

@Volleybox Would this website be interesting to see if countries need to be changed in the list? Countries without a population are not included.

https://www.worldometers.info/geography/countries-of-the-world/

S…k 717 16
3 years ago
+2

@Dorien I was about to propose that, worldometers is an amazing source. I guess @Volleybox could add the 195 countries + under that the 39 other territories, it would be exhaustive.

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+2

@Dorien @Sherlock thank you!??

3 years ago
+1

@Volleybox what the problem to use ISO-3166? https://www.iso.org/iso-3166-country-codes.html

Volleyball players rankingWho is the best volleyball player ever?Show players rankingVolleyball players ranking
Who is the best volleyball player ever?Show players ranking