Similar to Italian's women team, Key players rested for Olympics. 16 men selected to VNL.

John Suen 2021-05-15 • 2631 views • 7

Italy Men's national team are getting set for Volleyball nations league. Major stars of the team, Juantorena, Zaytsev, Giannelli will not be participating in this edition of VNL. Roberto Russo suffered an Achilles tendon injury and he will not be joining the team to VNL .Along with head coach Blengini reserving his position only to Tokyo Olympics, Italy is set to mirror their female volleyball national team to bring “B” team to VNL.

Roster for VNL:

Setter:

15. Riccardo Sbertoli 

21 Luca Spirito

Opposite:

20. Gabriele Nelli

23. Giolio Pinali

Outside Hitter:

18. Alessandro Michieletto

28 Francesco Recine

29. Mattia Bottolo

24. Oreste Cavuto

1. Davide Gardini

19. Daniele Lavia (Will join in 8 June)

Middle Blocker:

11. Gianluca Galassi

26. Lorenzo Cortesia

25. Marco Vitelli

30. Leandro Mosca

Libero:

7. Fabio Balaso

31. Filippo Federici

27. Leonardo Scanferla

Coaching staff:

Antonio Valentini (Head Coach)

Francesco Mattioli (Assistant coach)

Fabio Marzilli (Doctor)

Federico Aoli (Physiotherapist)

Pasquale Libero Piraino  (Trainer)

Alessandro Zarroli (Statistical analysis)

Samuele Papi (Team Manager)

As for the other players, they will be training and gathering between Rome and Cavalese with the remain staff.

Setters:

Simone Giannelli

Davide Saitta

Opposite:

Ivan Zaytsev 

Luca Vettori

Outside hitters:

Osmany Juantorena

Jiri Kovar

Filippo Lanza

Daniele Lavia

Oleg Antonov

Middle Blocker:

Matteo Piano

Simone Anzani 

Daniele Mazzone

Libero:

Massimo Colaci

Coaching staff:

Gianlorenzo Blengini (Head Coach)

Giacomo Tomasello (Assistant coach)

Piero Benelli (Doctor)

Davide Lama (Physiotherapist)

Sebastiano Cencini(Physiotherapist)

Alberto Di Mario (Trainer)

Fabio Dalla Fina (Statistical analysis)

Samuele Papi (Team Manager)

#Italy #VolleyballNationsLeague2021 #FilippoLanza #RiccardoSbertoli #LucaSpirito #SimoneGiannelli #GabrieleNelli #GiulioPinali #AlessandroMichieletto #FrancescoRecine #MattiaBottolo #OresteCavuto #DavideGardini #GianlucaGalassi #LorenzoCortesia #MarcoVitelli #LeandroMosca #FabioBalaso #FilippoFederici #LeonardoScanferla #GianlorenzoBlengini #DavideSaitta #IvanZaytsev #LucaVettori #OsmanyJuantorena #JiříKovář #DanieleLavia #OlegAntonov #MatteoPiano #SimoneAnzani #DanieleMazzone #MassimoColaci 

Temporarily disabled
James_AdrianPH 16
2 years ago
+1

So it's safe to assume that the players that skipped VNL will be playing in the Olympics?

John SuenHKAuthor 75 10
2 years ago
+1

@James_Adrian I think so.

James_AdrianPH 16
2 years ago
+1

@JohnSuen I hope so. I want to see Vettori play one more time in the olympics if only to prove the haters wrong! Hahaha

J. P.NL 135 3
2 years ago
+1

Well it was kinda expected tbh. Italy has been doing this for some years now

S…k 717 16
2 years ago
+1

@J.P. I thought there was a quota of players who must play both VNL and other competitions. So that the teams don't send their B team to VNL, precisely.

J. P.NL 135 3
2 years ago
+1

@Sherlock O I never heard of such a quota at least. I think its a strange concept though

John SuenHKAuthor 75 10
2 years ago
+1

@Sherlock I think it's that if you qualify for the finals in VNL, you have to bring a certain amount of the squad that has played in preliminary round in VNL. I think China has done this with the women side where they qualify for the finals but bought a very water down list players to the finals.

Join the list of players looking for a volleyball clubAre you looking for a new volleyball club?Join the listJoin the list of players looking for a volleyball club
Are you looking for a new volleyball club?Join the list