Nikolay Apalikov (Zenit)
Alexander Volkov (Zenit)
Dmitriy Shcherbinin (Dinamo)
Alexey Kazakov (Ural)

#Russia #WorldLeague2012

Temporarily disabled
freemysticPH 19 2
11 years ago
Russia is in Pool A, along with Japan, Cuba and Serbia. Of the list above, Russia will be allowed to pool a total of 19 players during the preliminary round, of which between 12-14 can play at any given time (14 if there are 2 liberos). The 1st round will be played in Japan. The last three preliminary rounds will be played for three consecutive weekends, with the rest of the pool-members serving as host-countries, except for Cuba, who is not ready to host the 2nd round of pool play. Games will be played in the Dominican Republic.

I suppose Alekno will not risk right away his First 6 to play all together in Japan and the Dominican Republic. I suppose all of them will play in front of the hometown crowd when they host Pool A in Kaliningrad in the middle of June. The goal is to qualify for the finals in Sofia in July -- and to be physically fit in time for the Olympic Games. Given that Khtey and a few others from the NT are reeling from injuries, the coaching staff will not risk anymore injuries to their core players before they leave for London.

And I don't think this will pose a problem for the other members of the World League pool. I would like to believe that everyone among them wants to play for the NT and share a taste of the NT's recent victories and how it is to play for the now famous and much-loved Vladimir Alekno. As Tetyukhin had previously warned the rest of the world, Russia now wants to win everything.

Anyway, I just hope that everything goes well for the Pool A members. I wish them all the best of luck and good health.
_k-is-for-kate_RUAuthor 404 6
11 years ago
same as on world cup, yeah, i think so,too)
freemysticPH 19 2
11 years ago
+1
From this pool will come the Olympic team which will only consist of 12 players, nothing more and nothing less. Replacements are not allowed so only the best will go to London. But basing on the list, anyone can be a part of the Russian contingent at the Olympics. Alekno will have a headache deciding who goes with him to London. From my reading of the recent games Russia had played in, here's my composition for the Olympics:

Setters: Butko and Grankin
Liberos: Sokolov and Obmochaev
Outside Hitters: Biryukov; Mikhaylov (Opposite); Tetyukhin; Khtey; Kruglov (Opposite)
Middle Blockers: Volkov; Apalikov; Muserskiy

There's a possibility that Shivozhelez can replace any of the wing spikers, should anyone among them encounters injury.

With this probable line-up in the Olympics, Russia will be very, very difficult to beat. ?
Kuzya1US 10 2
11 years ago
saku, thanks! I read his interview last year, but thought you can use him in Olympics
sakuPL 1032 9
11 years ago
no, and probably never will
Kuzya1US 10 2
11 years ago
question for our polish friends: will wlazly play?
freemysticPH 19 2
11 years ago
I agree that for Russia to win the gold in London, everyone must contribute to the cause. But I just could not help but laud Apalikov's presence on court. It just changes the complexion of the game for Russia. Two World Cup games come to mind: against the USA and against Poland. His blocking and ability to read Priddy and Kurek in the 3rd and 5th sets, respectively, decisively won the matches for Russia. While Russia had already won the WC after getting two sets from Poland, the last set win established Russia, not just as a powerhouse team but as a "mental" team as well. Nikolay's seeming doggedness and fearlessness helps Russia finish games ahead of the competition. Of course, his determination is greatly helped by Biryukov's on-court intelligence and especially Sokolov's "intuition" on court.

Okay. We do not want to put too much pressure on Russia. But for them to just lose one match -- against Brazil -- and winning the rest with 3 points each -- fans expect no less than the gold in London. (I'm just echoing other fans' expectation. ?)

Other teams would just find it difficult to evade the Great Russian Wall, especially with Apalikov in front.

Just praying that all members of the squad would be injury-free in time for the Olympics. (And also Giba, Lasko, Kurek, Stanley and my other favorites, Jarosz and Nikic. Ok. Just about everybody.)
BasilRU 47 1
11 years ago
I think that here is more attention to our team, that is necessary. Let's talk about Brazilians. Of course, our players are great, but plays the TEAM, not persons. To become an Olympian they need to play as one whole body. Very good that there are 25 players now, and the coach can chose the best at the certain moment. Grat that our veterans may play again: Ushakov (very experienced setter with good mentality), Abramov (good reception), Verbov (soul of the team), Kazakov (back from the USSR). Moreover, there are several good young players: Moroz (killer, but too young), Sivozhelez (surprise of the CL), Ilinykh (rising star), Abrosimov (talented blocker). Let's see, who will play finally. I can't wait for seeing WL and OG 8-)
vatreniME 275 12
11 years ago
Russia and Brazil are favorites. after them, in my opinion goes Poland and maybe Italy... it would be wrong, if the Russian public and media start pressuring Alekno to win gold... any pressure for Russia would not be good.
EdoKaglieIT 432 4
11 years ago
Great team ...
sakuPL 1032 9
11 years ago
+2
i dont agree, they win cose of Alekno ?
BernySK 606 6
11 years ago
+1
freemystic has right ? but I want to say right now this: Russia will win the Olympic gold medal because of Mikhaylov and Apalikov ?
freemysticPH 19 2
11 years ago
_k-is-for-kate, sorry for that. It was a matter of one sentence juxtaposed to the other, that's why the meaning came out garbled. On the contrary, what I mean to say is that Apalikov will win the gold for Russia. As I'm studying the games of the World Cup, Apalikov comes off as a "bad boy" on court -- he's always intense and deliberate in his actions and he gets angry at himself when he commits a mistake. Russia needs someone with his attitude -- gutsy and dominant.

Russia will win the Olympic gold medal because of Apalikov.
11 years ago
freemystic, do you mean Apalikov will be the one to get us lose the Olympics? That's interesting, why would you think so?
11 years ago
I doubt about Moroz - he's a talent definitely, but too unexperienced so far, he was surprisingly effective at the beginnning of season, but in the end became too predictable. Taking him instead of Kruglov before the Olympics would be too risky, unless he makes a huge progress during practice session. Still, perhaps Alekno will take him to WL just to try, but Kruglov will definitely go as a second opposite.

Poltavsky is unlikely to come back to team. It's not only injuries now, but his age and lack of high-level playing practice as well.

Speaking about opposites, I'd prefer Apalikov to Muserskiy, though both are sure to make it for WL and OG. It may be just my mind, but i believe Musersky showed nothing really impressive during the last international season, but for his excellent coordination. But it's not enough, he won't be in starting six untill his mighty-serve skill comes back to him.

Makarov is in the team because he is stable.

Concerning Yugra guys, i think perhaps Rodichev will be taken to WL, but not Kobzar- 4th setter would be too much)

That's what I think, but Alekno has his own plan, so we'll see)
freemysticPH 19 2
11 years ago
As Tetyukhin had said, they want to win everything. I don't think the World League is Russia's priority right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Alekno only fields the second stringers for the preliminary round. I think Russia's priority is the health of the players -- no one wants to risk having their players injured just before the Olympic Games.

The Russians believe the gold in London is theirs to lose. Let's see what Apalikov has to say about this. He's the guy who's going to make it happen for Russia.
Kuzya1US 10 2
11 years ago
qsek, I think Poltavskiy is still hurting. Back injury.
qsekPL 831 10
11 years ago
where the hell is Połtawski?!
BernySK 606 6
11 years ago
I wish to see Nikolay playing, oh he has perfect shape
pesaziDE 73 3
11 years ago
+2

I'm expecting Kruglov to play in the group phase,so Maxim could take a little breather before the Olympics.We'll probably see more of Apalikov,too

I rather think Moroz will take the place behind Mikhailov. He was topscorer in the regular season as far as I know. Very high and hard hitter. But maybe you're right, and Alekno wants to have a more experianced player as back-up. It won't make a difference anyway, provided that Mikhailov can play.
As for Apalikov, I really hope we see him alot. This guy is so good, also mentally, but still kind of underrated. He was the real MVP in the CL final.

I've never seen Makarov play(he's now Russia's third setter,right?).Is he good?

He is definitely a solid player, but I don't see him in the lineup as long as the other two don't injure themselves. Russian users can tell more about his qualities.

There is so much talent in this team, and finally Alekno seems to have made something out of it. The only thing that can stop them imo is the winning-mentality of the Brazilians. On a lucky day, Italy has chances too.
ZytaPL 1332 11
11 years ago

ahaha and that explains a lot then xD

You're welcome ?
proudBG 722 9
11 years ago
+1
Impressive list!I'm expecting Kruglov to play in the group phase,so Maxim could take a little breather before the Olympics.We'll probably see more of Apalikov,too ?
I really envy how many good wing spikers Russia has(though,I'm still not completely sold on Sivo and Berezhko,despite the CL title)-Khtey,Biryukov,Tetyukhin,even Ilinykh is much better than any of our second spikers...and the fact that you have more than one setter - such luxury ?
I've never seen Makarov play(he's now Russia's third setter,right?).Is he good?
Btw,I'm really happy that two guys from Gazprom Yurga made it on the list(Rodichev and Kobzar).That's the team that Plamen Konstantinov coaches - it's good to know he works well with young guys ?
11 years ago
+1

They just don't want to meet you, that's all. End of story ?

ahaha and that explains a lot then xD
Kuzya1US 10 2
11 years ago
+3
HCLT: "maybe" is the key word :-)))
ZytaPL 1332 11
11 years ago
+5

i don't judge anyone, they probably have reasons,

They just don't want to meet you, that's all. End of story ?

I'm not gossiping about Musersky, but Khtey! Damn, HCLT, I thought Angels should have skills like reading learned to perfection!
11 years ago
+2
sorry, it was my slip, i already edited it)
and champion,i agree with you. it's just a pity that sometimes they overdo trying to keep distance, a lot of people stubbornly deny any relation to russia. i don't judge anyone, they probably have reasons, but still it just doesn't feel right for me.
11 years ago
+3
vaterni, but say it to a Ukranian or a Belorussian and he'll kick you - they usually hate being called "similar" to russians in any way) unfortunatelly
11 years ago
+3
champion, I got it right)
It's just when that khtey thing came up, i remembered what i once heard and decided to refresh it, it's not really a big deal for media to talk about non-stop
i didn't know the things were that bad in bulgaria, perhaps it's just because of Kaziyskiy's mega-popularity there
vatreniME 275 12
11 years ago
+2
Ukrainians and Belarusians are almost same with Russians. similar languages, culture, faith...
11 years ago
+2
khtey has a website, and there's a biography section:
http://www.khtey.ru/about_me/biografiya

extract from there:
В шестнадцатилетнем возрасте Тарасу Хтей, дабы принять Российское гражданство, довелось жениться на некой студентке МГУ, с которой был едва знаком и виделся всего лишь пару раз. Брак изначально был фиктивным, и вскоре был расторгнут. На данный момент Хтей состоит в счастливом браке, вместе с женой воспитывают троих дочерей.

16-year old Khtey, in order to get a russian citizenship, had to marry a certain MSU student, who he hardly knew and had only seen a couple of times. The marriage was initially fictitious, so was soon dissolved. At the moment Khtey is happily married, along with his wife he brings up 3 daughters.

interesting story but not that romantic and soapy, innit?)
ZytaPL 1332 11
11 years ago

there's even a kind of legend about a 17-year old Khtey marrying some Moscow girl fictitiously in order to get a citizenship ?

And that may be true, because became father when he was 16 yrs old. He has two daughters, twins if I'm not mistaken, with his wife, who is daughter of Shipulin and daughter from previous relationship.
Kuzya1US 10 2
11 years ago
+2
HCLT, my favorite player is Lloy Ball :-). I compare any setter to him :-).
sakuPL 1032 9
11 years ago
+1
oh, i thouhg pavlov is full russian ?
RevanExtasisPT 746 11
11 years ago
+1
i wanna see the final team, i see now 4 old stars but this will change alekno knows that you cannot ask more to the old stars and that was the last years in the WL againts brazil, of course tetyukhin can play but i want to see who will be the chosen between sivoshelez and berezkho after all the two players are from zenit and speaking about libero i think sokolov win his position verbov is one of the best liberos from rusia but come times change the same thing for kazakov, for me musersky,volkov and apalikov will be the choosen
11 years ago
+2
only one naturalized player can play in NT, in our case this is Butko
Musersky is not naturalized, it's ok about him. He, Khtey, Pavlov were born in Ukraine, but Muserskiy and Khtey had russian sports citizenship from the very beginning, they never played for Ukraine unlike Pavlov.
there's even a kind of legend about a 17-year old Khtey marrying some Moscow girl fictitiously in order to get a citizenship ?

John17, and i believe only one of those you mentioned is going to actually play - Tetyukhin. Kazakov, Verbov and Abramov are highly likely to be cut off when it comes to the list reducing. This list is widened.
John17FR 151 7
11 years ago
+2
Kazakov,Tetyukhin,Abramov,Verbov ....Hehe the come back of old stars !
vatreniME 275 12
11 years ago
+3
man, this is Soviet Union not Russia? I am kidding ?
ZytaPL 1332 11
11 years ago
Butko in Belarus, Musersky in Ukraine, not sure about Pavlov, but I think Belarus as well.
pearlIT 1003 11
11 years ago
+2
@Zyta: i apologize for my ignorance but where was Butko born exactly? Musersky was born in Ukraine if i'm not wrong.
ZytaPL 1332 11
11 years ago
+1
saku only two naturalized players can play in NT (CLUB DOESN'T MATTER) and in Russia there are already Musersky and Butko. Pavlov, born in Belarus if I'm not mistaken, can be in NT only if one of these two - Muser and Butko - won't be there. And If you have Maxim, you don't have to take Pavlov and kicking out tallest MB in the world or very talented setter.
sakuPL 1032 9
11 years ago
+2
why no Pavlov when Butko? if i not mistake they played together in your home club, didnt they?
Kuzya1US 10 2
11 years ago
+3
Grankin looked very good against Monza and in the first game against Iskra (the one he got the red card in ;-). Butko is taller, which makes him a better blocker. Both suffer from psy-factor though. Grankin starts playing his own game, and Butko is very readable - doesn't play with centers at all. And I don't think the story with knee injury is over for Grankin. As for Pavlov, only one player, who changes nationality is allowed by the rules, and Butko obviously is needed more
11 years ago
+3
to my shame, i haven't had too much spare time recently to spend on volleyball, I only watched a few matches I could and those held here in my city. I didn't see much of Dinamo play, so I can't really say what Grankin is like now, but I can tell about Butko as he plays in my home-team. Since being defeated by Arkas and missing Divis, Lokomotiv not just plays really mildly, they have like a recession at the moment.
I actually attended Loko-Zenit semi-final yesterday (2:3), and I can say that Zenit shines with confidence unlike us: Butko, Biryukov, Sanchez look exhausted and non-motivated. And that in a decisive game!
If Grankin shows himself good in Dinamo vs Zenit in Superliga's final, I guess there's a strong possibility Alekno prefers him in WL
but we'll see
11 years ago
+1
i dunno, perhaps. i think it will depend, just like the whole previous international season) though i hope Butko earned to be trusted, but who knows..
and btw you know my attitude towards grankin-always-in-starting-six thing,don't you?))
11 years ago
+2
unfortunatelly, there's no sense to include Pavlov in the list when there's Butko)
sakuPL 1032 9
11 years ago
+2
I though Pavlov will be there
bitkaPL 673 10
11 years ago
+2
during EVERY match with Russia/ russian players i hear that you have to play with them point by point so that they will break down mentaly... ? but it works ?
vatreniME 275 12
11 years ago
+2
K-is-for-kate, I also remember Vladimir's Grbic words. he was saying, when you play against Russia you don't need to hitting ball with full strength, but need to play smart and patiently. against everyone you can hit ball with full strength, but against Russian giants if playing like that you're finished ?
11 years ago
+2
vaterni, true story)
and it worked for serbians, huh?) well, it's wise of them to have noticed that. in fact, things are the same in our national league, a team is unlikely to take set if they're 4-5 points behind the rival. that's become so normal that i started to think of it as of a problem only now)
vatreniME 275 12
11 years ago
+2
men, it looks very impressive. Only problem of Russia is psychological. they look fantastic if we look psychical and technical side of volleyball. I was listening Serbian coach Kolakovic, and he say that only chance too play with Russia is that you must always be equal with them in result. in that case they feel pressure, because they not mental ready, and they often lose. That was Serbian tactic from last WCH and ECH.
Volleyball players rankingWho is the best volleyball player ever?Show players rankingVolleyball players ranking
Who is the best volleyball player ever?Show players ranking