What happened to microblog?

sitenoise 334
+1
Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+1

I was planning to announce it after making some bugfixes.

Microblog was merged with waiting room. If you want to say anything, even one sentence, one photo just add it on the homepage (let's click on “Create post” field). Your post will be presented on the waiting room and can be pushed to the homepage by user's votes. Messages added previously on the microblog are presented on the waiting room now (or homepage if they exceeded the acceptance threshold).

The problem was that a user who wanted to add some new information on the site (anything, even sharing the joy after victory of his team) could do that in 3 ways:
- by adding a news,
- by adding a message on the microblog
- by adding a thread on the forum.

That's why there was a risk that the same content could be duplicated on the Volleybox. Moreover, according to Hick's Law giving too many options to the user paralyzes him.

Currently, user can do it in two places. I'm still wondering how to merge the homepage to the forum and whether to do it at all.

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

@Volleybox  I originally posted my above comment at the home/waiting room, and then moved it to here. Tough question about merging. Bug reports and the like might need their own place somewhere?

Volleybox 440
3 years ago

@sitenoise yes, the advantage of a forum is that it groups threads that are similar to each other (bug reports is good example).

I was thinking about setting the forum category to the posts from the homepage/waiting room (I'm not sure who should be able to do it: moderators + author / only moderators). But it should be set after adding the post. I don't want to expect categories to be completed when adding a post, as it will discourage users from adding posts. Look how simple is adding new posts on the Twitter.

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago
+1

@Volleybox 

On Desktop: Go → Home → Popular → News …

1a) Is there a way to make it more obvious there is “more…” to an Item? 
1b) Is it feasible/desirable to make a ‘more …’ option so that it expands the item rather than having to click the title of the item to go … somewhere …

2) … because where you end up when clicking an item's title is vague
2a) Click on the “Imports for 2020-21” Item and you go to a page with these breadcrumbs: “VolleyboxPopular posts” with no Back Button and no sense that where you are is in the “VolleyboxTournamentsJapan V.League Division 1” Timeline. It feels like a stranded place to be. There are no ‘related links’, no “Add Comment” field, etc.
2aa) Click on the “Major reversal occurred 2020 Korean Cup (Kovo Cup)” Item and you go to a page with these breadcrumbs: VolleyboxNews and there is a BACK Button, but no sense that you are in the “Korean Cup 2020/21” Timeline. It does have related links and a “Add Comment” Field.
2b) If you go “Home - All Posts - All Categories” there's the Item “Probpem”. You have to notice the the light gray “thought bubble 7” to surmise there is more to that item.

It probably makes sense there is only an option to ‘reply’ in 2a), and the option to ‘add comment’ in 2aa, but it's unclear to me.

It's a gigantic spiderweb with all the various ‘items' converging on the Home Page. If you click on the “Probpem” post in 2b) you go to the conversation with no BACK Button. If you hit your browser's Back Button, it's weird where you end up. There's a “Show More” Button that takes you to the “Waiting Room”. Hmmmmm

Maybe it's just change, and I'm not up-to-speed yet in terms of navigation, but it's time consuming and mysterious getting a handle on the new “Home” Page.

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+2

Few changes after your suggestions:

• “Show more” is displayed for truncated texts, it works the same as clicking on the title
  • Back button was added for posts and forum threads
  • Comment form is displayed for posts (after clicking on their title)
sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago
+1

@Volleybox That's all good stuff. 

What is the difference between (under “Popular Posts” → All Categories) Rally of the year? (Hungarian extraliga) and Imports for 2020-21 ?

The former loads into a page that has “related links” on the right, and just seems more in context of something. The latter seems lost in space.

Same is true of Top 15 Powerful Volleyball Spikes by Andrea Drews - Lefty… versus Karsta Lowe.

The former posts have breadcrumbs aligned left, the latter aligned center.

I imagine it has to do with how/where the item was created? And whether “Tags” were used in the creation? I believe the “Imports” post I created automatically entered the #JapaneseVLeagueDivision1202021 Japan VLeague Division 1 2020-21  hashtag, so that gives it some context. The Kasta Lowe item is isolated. 

I guess we (or at least "I") need to think about how and where to create posts that will give context.

I'll experiment around with what happens using these different options that appear after you click “Add a Comment”:

Post Movie News Link 

btw - now that the “Timeline” is the one-stop-shop, it loads everything into it. I much preferred when “Movies” were separate. I'll probably delete all the highlights from Japan 2020/21 and not add them any more because it makes it unlikely that anyone visiting there would scroll through all of them to find “News” items, which I think are more interesting/important.

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
  1. I can add “Related” section for posts based on the hashtags used inside.
  2. The biggest social media websites presents all content together (without splitting it for news/links/movies). That's the same approach.
    I can add dropdown list on the “Timeline” and there will be options: All/Movies/News/Links/Posts (similar to the homepage).
sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

Interesting that my post just above where it had the Japan 2020-21 as a hashtag caused the post to show up in the V.League Timeline. I edited it and removed the hashtag and it disappeared from the Timeline. 

I need to learn proper #hashtag deployment :)

Volleybox 440
3 years ago

It seems like a bug.

Volleybox 440
3 years ago

How can I reproduce it?

I edited that post: https://volleybox.net/volleyball-microblog/75413 which contains Plusliga hashtag. It still displays on the timeline of the tournament.

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago
+1

@Volleybox That's all good stuff. 

What is the difference between (under “Popular Posts” → All Categories) Rally of the year? (Hungarian extraliga) and Imports for 2020-21 ?

The former loads into a page that has “related links” on the right, and just seems more in context of something. The latter seems lost in space.

Same is true of Top 15 Powerful Volleyball Spikes by Andrea Drews - Lefty… versus Karsta Lowe.

The former posts have breadcrumbs aligned left, the latter aligned center.

I imagine it has to do with how/where the item was created? And whether “Tags” were used in the creation? I believe the “Imports” post I created automatically entered the Japan VLeague Division 1 2020-21  hashtag, so that gives it some context. The Kasta Lowe item is isolated. 

This post has been edited to remove the #hashtag #JapanVLeagueDivision1 202021 that went to the man version of Japan VLeague

I guess we (or at least "I") need to think about how and where to create posts that will give context.

I'll experiment around with what happens using these different options that appear after you click “Add a Comment”:

Post Movie News Link 

btw - now that the “Timeline” is the one-stop-shop, it loads everything into it. I much preferred when “Movies” were separate. I'll probably delete all the highlights from Japan 2020/21 and not add them any more because it makes it unlikely that anyone visiting there would scroll through all of them to find “News” items, which I think are more interesting/important.

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

It still has the hashtag

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

I added the # Japan hashtag back to my post and it didn't appear in the timrline

Volleybox 440
3 years ago

@sitenoise please provide me a link to that post. I did the same and it works fine.

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

@Volleybox it's the post three posts up from here in this thread that starts "@Volleybox that's all good stuff."

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

@Volleybox  hmm, when I re-entered the hashtag in the post above and said it didn't re-emerge in the Tournament Timeline, I just noticed, by clicking on it in the post above that it did drop it into the Men's 2020/21 Timeline

sitenoiseAuthor 334 9
3 years ago

In theory it seems like it might be cool to throw everything “related” to something in its “Timeline”, but in practice, for me anyway, it's Twitter --which I don't use precisely because the Noise→Signal ratio is gagging. I removed the #hashtag from the  post above so it wouldn't appear in the V.League timeline --it has no place there-- and deleted all the movies. 

Same is true of the new conglomerated Home Page. I never visited the old Home Page or Waiting room, but when the microblog started I would touch base there for a quick look, as it was a place for a quick ‘live chat’ comment about site issues and the like. The new Home page is a waste of time for me now.

This is just me. I get it that Twitter and Facebook have millions of users being manipulated with irrelevant nonsense “For you”, “Who to Follow” “Trending” and the like. I don't have time for that.

Temporarily disabled
Volleyball players rankingWho is the best volleyball player ever?Show players rankingVolleyball players ranking
Who is the best volleyball player ever?Show players ranking