Who will be the new president of FIVB?

2012-09-19 • 2924 views • 8 replies
The World Congress will begin next Wednesday in the California city of Anaheim, USA. Let's take a look at all the candidates.

With FIVB President Jizhong Wei set to stand down after four years, the 33rd edition of the Congress will usher in a new era for the governing body of international volleyball with the fourth FIVB President set to be elected.

The candidates for the FIVB President election (term 2012-2016), which are expected to take place on Friday, are the following:

Mr Doug Beal (USA). Mr Beal is an FIVB Board of Administration member and President of USA Volleyball.
Dr Ary Graça (Brazil). Dr Graça is an FIVB Executive Vice-President, President of the South America Volleyball Confederation and the President of the Brazil Volleyball Federation.
Mr Chris Schacht (Australia). Mr Schacht is the President of the Australia Volleyball Federation.

The candidates for the minority gender positions (two to be elected) on the FIVB Board of Administration are the following:

Mrs Marta Centeno O. De Sajche (Guatemala). Mrs Centeno O. De Sajche is an FIVB Executive Vice-President.
Mrs Vilja Savisaar-Toomast (Estonia). Mrs Savisaar-Toomast is the Vice President of the Estonia Volleyball Federation.
Mrs Rita Subowo (Indonesia). Mrs Subowo is an FIVB Executive Vice-President.

The first FIVB Congress took place in Paris, France in 1947 when Mr Paul Libaud was elected as the FIVB’s first President.

FIVB President history:
Mr Paul Libaud (France) 1947-1984
Dr. Ruben Acosta (Mexico) 1984-2008
Mr Jizhong Wei (China) 2008-

I want Giba to be president in the future! :)
RenanZ 1538 15
11 years ago
+1
Be sure that will be mr. Ary Graça !!
andyz 117 2
11 years ago
Graca
Resoviak 16 1
11 years ago
100% Przedpełski
Wilfredo_is_MarshallAuthor 4186 20
11 years ago
Krach was there
11 years ago
FRESH NEWS from the FIVB CONGRESS: The NEW FIVB President is Brazil's Dr. Ary Graça. Congratulations! Any Thoughts?
11 years ago
FIVB
The New FIVB President Dr. Ary Graça
SEP 14, 2012 4:40 PM ACE 0 COMMENTS
Dr. Ary Graça, The New FIVB President.
September 21st:

“Dear friends, dear colleagues,

I would like to address my thanks for those who trusted me, for those who voted for me and I would like to thank most of all President Wei, who is always saying the FIVB is undergoing an evolution. I think FIVB had a revolution. Today was a demonstration of the revolution we have had. All of you had the right to talk today to transmit ideas, this was demonstrated. I believe in democracy. I believe that 220 persons thinking, is much better than one person as a so called dictator. Business is much better with a lot of people, new ideas is much better with a lot of people.

“Mr Wei is a very wise man, he taught me lot. I thank all my colleagues on the Board. You can be sure what was aid on the podium will be done. We will prepare the FIVB in a modern era following the work President Wei has done. In that way it will be an evolution. We are here tomorrow to make our sport one of the biggest in the world. So my friends from the bottom of my heart I would like to thank you for those who trust me and those who will trust me in the future.

Thank you.”

In a separate press release, President Graca released this statement:

“We must teach how to fish, not give fish. It is about sport for sport. I have already exchanged many ideas with different federations with the Brazil Federation. There must be a significant transfer of knowledge. If we can do it in South America, if we can do it in Brazil, we can do it everywhere. Help me to help you.”

From Graca’s predecessor, Jizhong Wei:

“My dear colleagues, in a general satisfaction our Congress is closed. I will like to congratulate you all for electing your new president and your new leading team. Now, a new era is opened by you and for you. You have all made this congress successful. Here I would like to thank you. I would like to thank the USOC and USA Volleyball for providing us with the best conditions for the congress. Thank you to the FIVB staff here or not here, working together with me, very, very hard over the past four years. I’m sure that the FIVB will continue to develop thanks to your common effort. I will be a volunteer and ready serve you at anytime.”

Who is Dr. Ary Graça?Before becoming the President of the FIVB, Dr Graça was an FIVB Executive Vice-President, President of the South America Volleyball Confederation and the President of the Brazil Volleyball Federation.

Brazil’s Dr. Graca who received 103 of the 204 votes was up against 2 other candidates, USA Volleyball CEO Doug Beal with 86 votes and Australia Volleyball Federation President Chris Schacht with 15.

The 65 year old Doug Beal keeps his position at USA Volleyball.
RenanZ 1538 15
11 years ago
+1
Hm.. I think he will do a great job as the "head boss" in FIVB, but didn't like his decision to NOT leave Brazilian Confederation to assume this new position. I believe that this is too much pretentious
11 years ago
Boyko Borisov
Volleyball players rankingWho is the best volleyball player ever?Show players rankingVolleyball players ranking
Who is the best volleyball player ever?Show players ranking