Plusliga's competition weight vs Superlega & Superleague

+1
2023-04-01 • 1628 megtekintés • 6 replies

It's high time to verify the competition weight for Plusliga - it's hard to claim that Italian Superlega and especially Russian Superleague should have higher rate than Polish Plusliga, taking into account that two last editions of ChL were won by a Polish club, and this and last season 2 out of 4 top teams in Europe were from Poland, this year all 3 Polish teams qualified for ChL playoffs and we may even have all-Polish ChL final, after both Polish teams won 3:1 in the first leg of the semifinals. Also, in CEV ChL ranking Polish league has been being consistently 2nd or 3rd for years, now is ex aequo with Russian league and in the next ranking will be for 100% 1st in Europe over Italian. In last several seasons Polish clubs have better wins vs losses ratio against both Italian and Russian clubs in direct encounters in the ChL, especially in key stages of tournaments, ChL quarterfinal and semis series as well as in the finals (JW and ZAKSA won over Zenit Kazan in ChL playoffs, JW won over Lube in ChL quarters, ZAKSA won 3 times in PO over Trento (2 times in finals and 1 time in quarters). Additionally, Plusliga is more even and competitive than Russian Superleague, where the drop-off is huge been top and lower-tier teams.

11 hónappal ezelőtt

Iran's league rate is 3.5, Japan's is 4.0, although Iran has won the Asain Club Championships for years and the best result for Japanese clubs is runner-up. I don't think they will adjust the rates easily, it may impact Volleybox ranking.

efratelloAuthor 2
10 hónappal ezelőtt

@HappyWithVolleyball It's exactly about the way it impacts Volleybox ranking. I don't know the reasoning behind Asian leagues, I've heard that Iranian teams sign players only for international tournaments, so the results there don't reflect the strength of the league. Not gonna argue about that cause I don't follow it that closely. Still Plusliga has been clearly performing better than Italian Superlega, and is much better than the Russian league, is 2nd in CEV leagues ranking over Russian (has been several times 2nd in the past too) and in the next ranking will be the sole leader, after two Polish teams clashed in the final for the European title this year. ChL is by far the most demanding and prestigious club competition, so it says something. Italy had only one team in semis and of course 0 in finals, two of the Italian teams, including later Italian champion Trento, were eliminated by Polish eventual runner-ups (ZAKSA has won ChL 3rd time in a row, but was incapable of winning Plusliga this season). So why the rates are so inadequate? How can you make an argument they should be?

11 hónappal ezelőtt

I think to rate things up it's gonna be a little more difficult.

efratelloAuthor 2
10 hónappal ezelőtt

@DarlinRodriguezLeclerc so what has to happen to align rates with reality? 

9 hónappal ezelőtt

@efratello Someone in the staff willing to do and AFAIK none even takes notices so that's it. 

9 hónappal ezelőtt

i think the rate is about the overall competitiveness. Although i do agree that teams like ZAKSA and JW from plusliga are, without a doubt, at top of Europe and the world, i don't think plusliga have as many strong teams as in Italian and Russian superliga. For example, the top 8 teams from Italian league are all just as competitive as ZAKSA or JW. Tyrant such as Perugia only ranked 6th in Italian league last season. So in my opinion, Plusliga-5.5, Italian League-6.0, are pretty reflective of the relative strength of the two.

Temporarily disabled