[Open] Open the backlog for users. Voting for the next feature on the volleybox

+3
2021-01-06 • 2600 visualizzazioni • 26 replies

Periodically, the word combinations ‘huge backlog', ‘prioritize backlog’, yada-yada, appeared. What if @Volleybox just let users prioritize the next features by voting on the site. 

Seems to me, showing your backlog to the community opens some great possibilities, doesn't it? More discussion, more ideas, suggestions. It can solve partially one of your problem → users do not know or know to small about features of volleybox

Volleybox 440
3 anni fa
+3

I was thinking about exactly the same. That idea was described also in year in review article:

The idea is creating online dashboard available for all users where they will be able to vote what should be implemented first, where they have an influence how the website is working.

FYI: for now backlog is available as Excel file only for some trusted users.

Vitalii LatyshAuthor 81 11
3 anni fa
+2

@Volleybox you caught me, the year review need to be double read

Volleybox 440
3 anni fa
+2

@VitaliiLatysh so for now plans are:

• UI/UX changes on the club rosters
    following to the @slintyen project:
  • newsfeed personalisation
  • backlog dashboard mentioned in this topic
3 anni fa
+2

@Volleybox yep, for the first point, I've remembered some discussion here https://volleybox.net/fanclubs/discussion/closed-team-name-chronology-should-stay-1370

Volleybox 440
3 anni fa
+1

@VitaliiLatysh yes, I remember that. That was a great idea ??

3 anni fa
+1

@Volleybox notice, the link didn't become clickable

Volleybox 440
3 anni fa
+3

@VitaliiLatysh pressing a spacebar/enter button is required to make it clickable. That's the bug of external library used for text editor and it won't be fixed.

sitenoise 334 9
3 anni fa
+3

@Volleybox I'm not fan of this new design at all. It puts the rosters (which is what I'm interested in when I click the Rosters TAB) way below the fold. I didn't like the “Best players” taking up space to begin with, especially when the pics are so small you can't tell who they are anyway. I know I can hover over them and wait a minute or two for the popup to occur but I don't have time for that. 

Now to get a quick glimpse of how a team has done over the past few years you have to take notes while scrolling the page.

Frankly, even though I love the Roster Photos they take forever to load (on my 200Mbs internet connection). This Roster's page is breaking every Hicks law there is ?. It's too busy!

What does “See Tournaments” (in orange) mean in your snapshot?

S…k 717 16
3 anni fa
+2

@sitenoise Wow I just saw the new design, I really don't like it. Why mixing up rosters and tournaments ? Those were two important parts and now tournaments are so small and underestimated. It seems also a little bit confusing while everything was so clear before.

sitenoise 334 9
3 anni fa
+1

@Sherlock  I think I can understand this change from the perspective of a One-Stop-Shop for all your singular team needs. It lets you see all the stuff a certain roster was involved with for that season in one place – at the expense of other things, but I imagine that is the thinking that went into it. 

I don't think it means we need to eliminate the Tournaments TAB, though. And maybe some of the stuff piling up above the actual rosters we come looking for could be collapsible? As mentioned, I'm not a fan of the “Best Players” hogging up space--move it to the side or put it below the roster, or make it collapsible? Or put their names there as well.

And the “Won Tournaments” is kind of silly without details. It's a row of icons that tell you nothing (except that there's either a bunch of them there or none, which tells you something).

I understand that modern design experts are afraid or text, but putting small pics that tell you nothing in a row might be modern but it is not helpful. 

S…k 717 16
3 anni fa
+1

@sitenoise Yes I understand it but I really don't find a lot of positive points. I miss the fact that we could see the number of players and tournaments for every team, now we have none of them.

Also, tournaments are very small compared to before. I preferred a lot having to switch between two pages, than being on this confused and overloaded page.

Volleybox 440
3 anni fa
+2

@sitenoise 

And the “Won Tournaments” is kind of silly without details. It's a row of icons that tell you nothing (except that there's either a bunch of them there or none, which tells you something).

I understand that modern design experts are afraid or text, but putting small pics that tell you nothing in a row might be modern but it is not helpful. 

You're right. UI of Teams and Players trophies have been changed. Thank you for your suggestion.

John Doe 129 24
3 anni fa
+2

@Volleybox I liked this new design, but I think it would be slightly better with “collapsable” medals section, like the one for the rosters. For players who played in many different leagues throughout their careers, the medals section can become too long and the “real" tournaments section, which is what some users are mainly looking for when they click the “tournaments” tab, can be way below in the page.

sitenoise 334 9
3 anni fa
+2

@Volleybox Tough nut to crack. I second @pedeshtrian 's collapsible suggestion. Can you do something similar for “Best Players” section? A collapsible section with their names included? 

One small aesthetic nit pick that may be unsolvable is that when a team has many podiums, and the list line wraps, it looks kinda sloppy because the line height changes and the wrapped line doesn't justify like the ‘bulleted list’ I expect it to be:

As in:

Thank you for taking up the issue

Volleybox 440
3 anni fa
+3

@sitenoise:

• surnames have been added under player's avatars in Best players section
  • seasons have been aligned in Medals section

@pedeshtrian and @sitenoise

• Medals section is collapsable now, but by default is expanded
sitenoise 334 9
3 anni fa
+2

I really don't know why this site is so frustratingly slow. I'm streaming two 1080 streams simultaneously right now without hiccups (The HS Championships!) and yet I couldn't even make the comment above without copying my text and reloading the page and trying again ?

S…k 717 16
3 anni fa

@sitenoise Seeing the time, you commented at approximately 3.30 am in the server timezone, that is actually the time where all rankings are being updated and the site is becoming unusable for 15 minutes or so.

sitenoise 334 9
3 anni fa
+1

@Sherlock  I know about the 3:00 alarm bell. Slowness and bouncing volleybox logos happen all the time for me. USA west coast, I guess. 

S…k 717 16
3 anni fa
+1

@sitenoise I agree that rosters pages are very long to load. And the more there are rosters pictures, the longest they are to load, sometimes it takes a while just to have a single information.

Volleybox 440
3 anni fa
+3

@sitenoise CDN have been installed today on Volleybox. Resources are still cached, first results should be noticeable soon.

sitenoise 334 9
3 anni fa
+3

I really miss the Tournaments TAB. I want to be able to see at a glance how a team has done over the past several years. Is there a way to see this that I'm missing? Scrolling the Rosters page is not an acceptable way to do it.

S…k 717 16
3 anni fa
+1
Volleybox 440
3 anni fa

@sitenoise 

Scrolling the Rosters page is not an acceptable way to do it.

Why?

sitenoise 334 9
3 anni fa
+2

@Volleybox  Bermin's law:

If you have seven people standing on a stage each holding a piece of fruit and ask someone in the audience to rank the pieces of fruit by their size, it's easy to do because they can see them side by side.

If you walk the fruit holders onstage one at a time, and show a picture of something else and recite a poem in between each fruit holder entrance, the audience member has to work hard, or take notes, in order to rank the fruit sizes

Volleybox 440
3 anni fa
+2

@sitenoise @Sherlock Tournaments tab in clubs have been restored.

S…k 717 16
3 anni fa
+1

@Volleybox First I don't like this idea of “rosters”, I preferred when we knew how many players have played in the team. But anyway, the 2020/21 season is counted as one roster even if there's no player and no tournament, it should be removed : https://volleybox.net/deportes-ciudad-real-t14993

I also don't like that the page has to charge ten or so times for the biggest clubs to show all rosters. It was really better before.

Temporarily disabled
Classifica dei pallavolistiChi è il miglior pallavolista di sempre?Mostra la classifica dei giocatoriClassifica dei pallavolisti
Chi è il miglior pallavolista di sempre?Mostra la classifica dei giocatori