Diego Cantagallie's 46 Points, New Italian Serie A Record

Diego Cantagallie's 46 Points, New Italian Serie A Record

AAA65 2021-01-28 • 1671 weergaven • 11

Diego Cantagalli, son of Luca "Bazooka" Cantagalli, in the 4th match day against Emma Villas Aubay Seina (3-2 win), set the new record of the Italian Serie A for points in a single match with 46 points (69% on 61 attempted spikes, 3 aces, 1 block).

With this performance, Cantagalli overtook a record held by Venezuelan-Italian José Matheus for 20 years (45 points in A2). Cuban Raydel Poey is in third place on the list with 44 points in A2 in 2016. The two outputs from the top division (SuperLega) follow the above-mentioned trio: Giulio Sabbi (42 points in 2013/14) and the Dutchman Nimir Abdel-Aziz (41 points in 2019/20).

#DiegoCantagalli #ItalianSerieA2202021 #SiecoServiceOrtona #EmmaVillasAubaySiena 

Temporarily disabled
S…k 717 16
3 jaar geleden
+4

This is the most amazing match sheet I've ever seen. Look at the number of points scored by other players. 

AAA65CAAuthor 8 2
3 jaar geleden
+4

@PierreFoucault I had never thought I would see a 5 set match in which one of the teams has only one player in double digits.

Then again, if his teammates were reliable, he wouldn't have scored 46 points.

S…k 717 16
3 jaar geleden
+3

@AAA65 Yes that's unreal. It means at the same time that Cantagalli is very strong but also that his teammates are very weak. One of the outside hitters scored only 6 points in 5 sets, and the second 9 points ! And the coach made no change he seemed satisfied with it.

Also, does someone know why were Ordona players unhappy at 24-25 in the fourth set ? It seems to be a very clean action for me.

AAA65CAAuthor 8 2
3 jaar geleden
+3

@PierreFoucault They weren't unhappy. They were just celebrating that they didn't lose the match there.

I put the link for the whole match here for some context. If you see the whole rally, you realize what the deal was.

jaisSI 205 8
3 jaar geleden
+2

It's crazy how efficient that guy was throughout the whole match. I mean to be 69 % with 61 balls that's quite a stat. And also as you said horrible attacking percentage of the recievers, and also middles, together they averaged 50 %, which is quite low for a middle blocker. So yeah looks like Cantagalli carries the whole team.

J. P.NL 135 3
3 jaar geleden
+3

Luckily theres this guy for the future of Italy's opposite slot. To think that this guy is not even playing serie A1…

jaisSI 205 8
3 jaar geleden
+3

@J.P. So probably next season we'll see him in the A1.. I just wonder where..? Maybe Ravenna or something similar..

J. P.NL 135 3
3 jaar geleden
+2

@jais Well I would like that. Although rumors where that Calippo and Padova were intersted in Nishida, they better go for Cantagalli 

jaisSI 205 8
3 jaar geleden
+2

@J.P. Yep, I agree. Though nobody knows how he will perform on the top level, so it's a bit risky investition. But he already was second opposite with Sokolov in Lube. I don't know him very well so I can't say…

J. P.NL 135 3
3 jaar geleden
+2

@jais I also don't know him that well unfortunately… Indeed he was second opposite for lube in 2018(?) so I think he will perform well 

AAA65CAAuthor 8 2
3 jaar geleden
+2

@J.P. He currently has the highest kill percentage among wing hitters in this season of Serie A2, with 52.2%, and is averaging 0.34 blocks/set and 0.41 aces/set(second in the league).